Thursday, February 12, 2009

Review of the offseason Part 2

Sorry for the delay, I've been a little busy. I talked in last weeks post about Peavy and Vasquez, so I thought I'd talk about Lowe and Smoltz today. It is, all about pitching, ya know.

So here's my deal with Smoltz. Great player, hall of famer, whole career with Braves, just fantastic. And as far as walking down memory road, (and pleasing Chipper) it was a horrible move. But as far as winning ballgames, which is what it is all about, I'm cool with it. He projection for him in 2009 is about 5 wins, 50 innings, and a high morale in the clubhouse(as well as ERA). To be blunt, I don't think he's worth 10 million, heck, he may not be worth 5. Now he is a great clubhouse guy, but you really gotta be a good pitcher too in this economy, and I no longer think he is.

As much of a hit we got from Smoltz in some people's mind, we got it back with Lowe. We used the money we saved with Smoltz to blow away Lowe with a 4 year $60 million dollar deal he couldn't pass up. We got our ace. The best part? Lowe's front runner before the Braves stepped in? The Mets. See ya next time

No comments:

Post a Comment